Wednesday, June 23, 2010

On a clear day...






You can see forever. I can see for miles and miles. Just a few songs that came to mind as we had a beautiful day to reach the summit of Pikes Peak. Even, America the beautiful! I'm in front of the words of Kathrine Lee Bates who was in inspired to write the poem on this mountain. What a thrill. The Cog Railway that we took was a smooth ride and we were blessed to have had the best seat on the train, the end. We got to see everything going up and coming back down since there is no turn around space at the top. I wasn't sure if it would bother me to go backards going up but we were both fine. We were told it would be cold so we were prepared with our sweatshirts for the 38 degree temperature but not the 24 degree wind chill factor. We were sure it felt colder than that. The wind was so strong it pushed us around. It was definitely the HIGH light of the day! There was a warm gift shop so when I was in there warming up, a couple of things jumped in my bag.
We drove back to Manitou (pronounced man-i-toe) and ate at a nice bistro in an historic house. The weather was so perfect we sat on the porch to eat! David humored me and we visited a few of the little tourist shops but I contained myself knowing we're going to Vegas!
We are off to Fort Garland hoping to go to the Great Sand Dunes tomorrow. Looking at the back of the atlas, I found out there are only 432 people living in Ft. G. We got nervous about the place we'd be staying in but it was nice and passable. We ate at a local pasta house for supper and went for a 1/2 hour walk to work it off. Love this mountain air.

No comments:

Post a Comment